Falls are the most frequent cause of injury among older adults. These injuries are more common than strokes and their consequences can be just as serious. Fortunately, in many cases they are preventable.
Statistics have shown that falling causes over 90% of broken hips. Head injuries as well as broken bones are also common consequences.
There are various reasons for falls. These include balance or dizziness conditions, medication side effects, muscle weakness, unsafe footwear, vision problems and tripping hazards.
Physical therapy can help in a variety of ways including:
- Provide a fall risk assessment
- Create exercise programs to increase strength and stability
- Make recommendations to increase home safety
- Screen and treat balance and dizziness conditions
- Evaluate safety of footwear
- Recommend special equipment to aid with walking difficulty